Monday, September 14, 2009

#1



Well I realize that so far I haven't written anything at all about being here in Holland. But then I started thinking about it and I realized that I never have time even to tell my parents about everything that I'm doing here, and definitely not everyone else who I think (hope) might want to know what is going in my life. I also realized that since I've been lazy and haven't been keeping a journal or anything about what I'm doing, it might be nice for me to keep a blog so that I can actually remember what I'm doing here.

Wow, so much has happened since I got here, I don't think I'm even going to be able to remember everything that I've done. I guess we'll have to skip details on almost everything that has happened so far and I'll try to be better about writing. But some of the things I've done:



  • I bought a bike, and I ride it to school every day with tons of other kids. It's about twenty minutes one way.

  • Seen lots and lots of sheep and cows. We think we have cows in Wisconsin... we have none compared to how many they have here. The weird thing is they're really skinny. Probably because they don't eat them... they're for milk. The sheep are everywhere too. The path that I run on has trees on one side, and on the other side is a lake for part of the way, and then the rest of the way sheep, ducks, horses, and cows.

  • Drank wine (but don't worry anyone, not all that much).

  • Gone shopping in a Dutch city (Alkmaar)

  • Visited the Red Light District. I have to say, that it's shocking to see half dressed women from the ages of 18 to at least 40 standing behind glass dressed in only a thong and underwear grinding at the windows. But, as sad, and weird as that was to see, I have to admit it was very interesting!

  • Eaten lots of cheese, and lots and lots of bread.

  • Gone to a Dutch birthday party.

  • Met an entire family of Dutch people and kissed people who I have only just met (the people here think that Americans are cold and way too formal when they meet here, and maybe I am, because I am still a little bit schocked every time someone kisses my cheek).

  • School, in Dutch of course.

  • I've said "ja, ja" a million times, and tell people I understand what they just said when really I have no idea.

  • Talked on skype... I guess that's not a Dutch thing, but still, I never did it before I came here.

  • Joined a running team where everyone- literally everyone- is a way faster, stronger runner than I am.

  • Run in the dunes, and on the beach, in the sand right by the sea.

  • Seen goats standing on barrels.

  • Met students from Italy, Finland, Belgium, all over South America, Germany, Indonesia, Thailand, Belgium, Canada... everywhere.


I'm sure there's way more that I'm going to think of five minutes after I post this. Every day something new happens. Sometimes things are exciting and fun, and sometimes things are hard. I miss home every day, but I don't feel "homesick" if you know what I mean by that.



I have way more than this to say, and I don't think I'll ever catch up. But I'll try!



Tot ziens!

3 comments:

  1. "May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

    Enjoy every minute, Sofia!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophia! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! This is a great way to stay connected. I'm so glad things are going well. I know you are busy, but please keep us updated.
    Things are going very well at our house. Kallai is getting remarkably stronger and healthier all of the time. I'm lovin' it!
    Enjoy each day!
    -Paula Hokanson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sofia,

    I am glad you like it here. It is nice to have you as a my hostdaughter.

    Doei
    Milja

    ReplyDelete