Sunday, October 4, 2009

"Gefeliciteerd"

Saturday morning I was feeling pretty ambitious when I woke up, so I got right out of bed and put on my workout clothes. Once I actually had my workout clothes on, I didn't feel all that ambitious anymore. So then I ate breakfast, went on Facebook for a while, read through some of my PSAT material, went on Facebook again, checked my e-mail, and then finally went out the door and on my way to the fitness center. When I got there, it turned out that they were actually having an open house for their free trial of spinning classes that they're just getting there. Spinning class is one of those things that I've always thought sounds really hip and cool. Kind of like yoga, and pilates, and especially pole dancing classes (the kind for exercise!). And, since they didn't have any open fitness, it was the perfect opportunity for me to try spinning, just like I've always wanted. I guess though, that everyone else who was going to the free trial class had already done it. Leaving... only me. Luckily, the instructor is this really friendly guy (Jim from the gym), who always helps me when I go there. So, he did the lesson for me anyway. Spinning is just as hip and cool as I thought. You bike to the beat of the music that they play and there's three phases: climbing, speed, and jogging. I couldn't really tell the difference between the climbing and jogging phases, but the speed phase was not fun. Basically you start by pedaling as fast as you can, and at the end of it the bike is pretty much pedaling you, because your legs are going so fast and the pedals won't stop, and if you try to make them stop you would probably fall of the bike.
When I got home from the gym, Milja and I went to the grocery store, and Taiana and Peter went to Alkmaar to get Taiana some new pants. Then later in the afternoon, we all drove to Milja's sister's house for her niece's birthday party (she just turned nine). It was a family party, which I guess you always have for someone's birthday. Oh, I have to add that I drove to the party with Peter in this extremely cool car he got to use for the weekend. BMWz4, which doesn't mean anything to me, but maybe it will to someone who's reading this. I'll put a picture up here after we take one with it.

Anyway, there was a ton of people at the party, most of them who I didn't know at all. The thing is, apparently at these parties, when you get there you have to walk around and say "gefeliciteerd" to everyone. Every single person who's there! It took Milja two times of telling me that I had to do this before I actually realized that I HAD to do it. Once I stumbled through this big long word about five times, it wasn't so bad, but it was scary at first. You all know I'm not really a shy person, but that's one of the big cultural differences that I've noticed. At home we are not as friendly to people when we first meet them, and here they are extremely friendly. When I think about it though, it's a lot nicer the way that they do it here. Within five minutes of a party, you've already said something to everyone, and the whole atmosphere is a lot nicer.

The party was fun too. People sat around for a long time and talked, and Milja's sister and brother-in-law kept bringing out appetizers. At six they gave everyone dinner; mushroom or tomato soup, and salmon quiche. After we ate people started to leave, and around eight or so there weren't very many people left. We played a card came called 31. The whole thing was just really nice, again... "gezellig." The things that they do here with the family remind me a lot of family days in Sweden, which makes me miss it, but also makes me feel more at home. All of the people speaking Dutch and the noise makes me tired, but it was one of those things where you sit and just feel tired and happy.

Today is Sunday, and I've decided that Sunday is officially one of my favorite days of the week. First of all I have the training in the dunes, which I think I've already mentioned that I love. Then in the afternoons, we almost always do something nice, and in the evenings we can just relax. Also there is this show called "Farmer Seeks Wife," about these farmers that are trying to find wives (obviously). It's funny though because it's not like any of the American reality shows. Half of the farmers are old and overweight, and the ones that aren't old and overweight aren't even remotely cute. Then women who want to try and be their wives write these letters, and the farmers pick the ones that they want on the show. Except some of the farmers only get ten letters or something. But anyway, then they do these dates and stuff with the farmers. Kind of like the Bachelor, except I don't think they make out with as many people. Anyway, the nice thing we did this afternoon was we went shopping in Alkmaar for a winter coat. That was fun, but it was so busy everywhere. I have a new coat now, though, which is lucky, because it's starting to get really cold here.

Ik mis jullie!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment