Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I decide to play volleyball.

There's two girls I know that live really close to me in Akersloot. One of them is in my class, and I bike to school with her in the morning, and the other one is in my Spanish class. Actually, they're the girls I made cookies with last week; Annemarieke and Danique. Both of them play on a volleyball team in town, and they always talk about how much fun it is. The team only practices Monday nights for a couple of hours, and it only costs like five Euros per month. How could I resist?

So yesterday night at seven I went out in the rain, and biked to the gym in Akersloot. There were only like eight girls or something there, and a coach.

In case there's anyone reading this who doesn't know, I'm horrible at volleyball. Absolutely horrible, terrible, not good at all. Is that clear? But, on this team, I wasn't the worst. I felt like a volleyball pro or something, people kept telling me how good I was. After we played for an hour or so just with us, we played with the older ladies who actually have a pretty serious team.

The coach of their team came up to me and introduced himself. "Hello," he said. "I am Jon. I am a bitch." I really did not know what to say to that at all, so I just kind of nodded a little bit. Also, I couldn't talk, because I was trying not to laugh. I guess he didn't really understand that wasn't an appropriate thing to say the first time you meet someone.

Unfortunately, when we actually started playing with the other women, I wasn't all that good anymore. Whenever I hit the ball this one lady would say, "Well. At least you made a try." That doesn't sound very encouraging, does it?

And that's the end of my adventures with volleyball, though I guess there might be more to come.

A few of my friends at school have told me that I should play volleyball instead of run when I go back home. I don't think they understand that the Spooner Rails volleyball team probably wouldn't be very happy to have me. I'm probably more wanted on the cross-country team... so that's where I'm going to go. No worries, anyone!

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud at this post. I am playing volleyball too and it is a really good feeling to know that you are not the worst.

    Also, "gezelling" in Danish is "hyggeligt". I really like the word because we do not really have a word for it in English.

    I hope all is well and your Dutch is progressing. Are you in language school?

    Take care. Andy

    ReplyDelete